Thank you to our cybersecurity and Dark Web monitoring partner ID Agent for their guest blog that should motivate you to get ahead of the scary data breaches that come with leaving your organization vulnerable in the cyber world.
A data breach is a nightmare for any company, and it’s one that more businesses in more industries are having to face today. About 85% of IT professionals foresee a data breach at their organization in the next 12 months. Cybercriminals are hungry for data that they can sell in booming dark web data markets for a hefty profit, spawning an unprecedented increase in data-focused cybercrime that’s rocking organizations of every size in every sector – and it isn’t going to stop.
10 SMB Data Breach Statistics You’ve Got to See
- The number of recorded data breaches in 2021 has exceeded the total number of events 2020 by 17%, with 1,291 breaches in 2021 compared to 1,108 breaches in 2020
- More than 60% of breaches result from misused, stolen or purchased credentials
- An estimated 85% of data breaches involve a human element.
- Phishing is the top threat action that results in a breach
- The number of breaches that involve ransomware has doubled
- 34% of data breaches involve internal actors
- Over 80% of breaches are discovered by external parties.
- An estimated 36% of organizations worldwide had a cloud data breach in the past 12 months
- 74% of organizations in the United States have fallen victim to a successful phishing attack that resulted in a data breach in the last 12 months
- The US is the leader in phishing-related data breaches for 2021 so far, with rates 30% higher than the global average, and 14% higher than the same period in 2020.